2175 views • Backend System Design
Serverless is a cost-efficient way to host your APIs and it forms the crux of systems like Chatbots and Online Judge.
Serverless does not mean that your code will not run on the server; it means that you do not manage, maintain, access, or scale the server your code is running on.
The traditional way to host APIs is by spinning up a server with some RAM, and CPU. Say the resources make your server handle 1000 RPS, but you are getting 1000 RPS only 1% of the time which means for the other 99% you are overprovisioned.
So, what if there was an Infrastructure that
These requirements gave rise to Serverless Computing.
Say, we build a Slack chatbot that responds with the Holiday list when someone messages
holidays . The traffic for this utility is going to be insignificant, and keeping a server running the whole time is a waste. This is best modeled on Serverless which is invoked on receiving a message.
Every submission can be evaluated on a serverless function and results can be updated in a database. Serverless gives you isolation out of the box and keeps the cost to a bare minimum. It would also seamlessly handle the surge in submissions.
Upon purchase, the Vending machine would need to update the main database, and the APIs for that could be hosted on Serverless. Given the traffic is low and bursty, Serverless would help us keep the cost down.
Schedule daily DB backups on the Serverless function instead of running a separate crontab server just to trigger the backup.
Use serverless and invoke the function every time a message is pushed on the broker making the system reactive instead of poll-based.
If you like what you read subscribe you can always subscribe to my newsletter and get the post delivered straight to your inbox. I write essays on various engineering topics and share it through my weekly newsletter.
944 views • 46 likes • 2022-05-27
One of the simplest deployment strategies that make deployment a breeze is Rolling Deployment. It is the most widely ado...
1309 views • 60 likes • 2022-05-18
Deployments are a pain if we are unsure about our release changes. But sometimes even if we know our changes well, somet...
1982 views • 117 likes • 2022-05-16
Deployments are stressful; what if something goes wrong? What if you forgot to handle an edge case that was also missed ...
A set of courses designed to make you a better engineer and excel at your career; no-fluff, pure engineering.
Being a passionate engineer, I love to talk about a wide range of topics, but these are my personal favourites.
Arpit's Newsletter read by 17000+ engineers
🔥 Thrice a week, in your inbox, an essay about system design, distributed systems, microservices, programming languages internals, or a deep dive on some super-clever algorithm, or just a few tips on building highly scalable distributed systems.
Powered by this tech stack.